Welcome to adobo-down-under!

Musings. Family. Food. Stories. Cooking. Recipes. Eating. A recipe journal. From simple Filipino dishes to challenging recipes and exciting gastronomical failures. This is for my girls to look back on for comfort, memories, laughs, love and lots of food!

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Protein truffles (protein balls)


coated in dessicated coconut


Wow!  How quick was that?!  2013 all done and dusted!  What a year it was!  Had a few bumps and bruises along the way but worth all the lessons learned.


Mid last year, I stopped eating sugar.  Not entirely quitting sugar, but not eating processed sugar. Nothing in my coffee, no cakes, cupcakes...  that kind of thing.  Hard to believe with all the baking I do, but indeed I did.  And I've been off it since.  Ocassionally, I'll nibble on some dark chocolate but that's about it.  It was a decision made entirely out of gut feel and a combination of all sorts of information gathered what I've read mostly.  No scientific or research study conducted.  Just a straight up decision to do so.  Late last year, I also got hooked into kale and making my nutriblasts, thanks to my trusty Nutribullet - a worthy purchase from home TV shopping (don't judge me!).


How can I bake so much sweets and not eat sugar?  Well, when I'm baking sweets, my kids and some very eager taste testers are more than happy to taste them for me - hubby, family, friends.


Anyways. Now this quitting sugar and drinking nutriblasts somehow sparked a good trend in the office.  And an office mate shared this recipe which he got from a local magazine/paper (he was not sure which one, so apologies to the source).  They're healthy balls of deliciousness, and if you're in to the "raw" bandwagon, you will love this one!


And to start the this awesomeness of a year rolling, here's a recipe for protein truffles which were supposed to be an SABH post but did not make it to deadline.  You know how busy December can be.  I made this to give away as Christmas homemade treats, and receivers loved them!  I'm sure you will too!  





coated in cocoa powder



Ingredients


100g walnuts, roughly chopped

100g natural almonds, roughly chopped

2 tablespoons pepitas

170g pitted dates

100g dried apricots

100g pitted prunes

1 tablespoon peanut butter

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 tablespoon cinnamon powder

2 tablespoons honey

Pinch of sea salt

100g dessicated coconut, for coating; or

100g cocoa powder, for coating; or

100g melted dark 70% chocolate for coating.



Method

Combine walnuts, almonds and seeds in a food processor and process until you get fine crumbs.

Add the dates, apricots and prunes and process until smooth.

Add the peanut butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon, honey and sea salt and process until the mixture starts to form into a ball.  

Place the protein ball of dough in a bowl and keep in the fridge to chill for half an hour to an hour, to keep it firm.

Prepare three separate bowls for your coating.

Using a teaspoon, scoop a spoon full and then roll in between lightly wet hands.

Roll into any of the chosen coatings (dessicated coconut, cocoa powder or melted dark chocolated).

Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.

Yield: will depend on how big or small you want the protein balls/truffles to be.



coated in dark chocolate







Now that it's a new year, time to make some resolutions!  Make sure you add these to your regular plan.  It's healthy and delicious, for real!

 
A happy and awesome 2014 to all!  May this year bring you more blessings, peace, wellness and happiness within.


 


2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for cutting out sugar! I still eat it, but no longer buy refined white sugar. I'm trying to replace it with brown sugar, and so far, it has worked. I want to try these truffles and have pinned the recipe. Just one question: what are pepitas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annika! And thank you for the shout out in Pinterest. Pepitas are pumpkin seeds.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...