Welcome to adobo-down-under!

Musings. Family. Food. Stories. Cooking. Recipes. Eating. A recipe journal. From simple Filipino dishes to challenging recipes and exciting gastronomical failures. This is for my girls to look back on for comfort, memories, laughs, love and lots of food!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Asian stir fry beef with broccoli in oyster sauce





Broccoli is one of my most hated vegetables as a kid.  I think generally all kids do.  Initially I guess.  The fact that its so green and looks like a tiny tree doesn't help with its over all image.  But if I were a PR manager for this vegetable, I'd be highlighting its nutritional qualities!  Broccoli in fact is high in Vitamin C and great as a dietary fibre. Studies also reveal that broccoli consumption is shown to be beneficial in the prevention of heart disease!  So let's 'broccoli' y'all! 


This dish is a post for this week's (Week 6)  Power Food blog hop hosted by Mireya from My Healthy Eating Habits.  




To make this simple Asian dish, you'll need:

400g sirloin beef, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, finely diced

1/4 cup ginger, julienned

1 onion, quartered

2 bunch/florets brocolli, cut into pieces

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

vegetable oil

sesame oil

salt & pepper to taste



In a skillet or pan, heat about a 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil.  Add the garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant. Do not burn.

Add the beef and sear until browned - 10 to 15 minutes depending on how thinly sliced the beef is.

Add the oyster sauce and the onions and stir through to coat.

Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the beef is cooked through.

Add the broccoli and simmer and cover, or let simmer for 2 minutes. 

Season with salt and pepper and drizzle about a teaspoon of sesame oil.

Take off from heat.



This is a simple dish we usually prepare at home, served with steamed jasmine rice.  Also great mixed with egg or Singapore style noodles







This post is part of a Power Foods blog group.  Check out Mireya's Mireya's Broccoli and Corn puree and the other Power Food posts from Alyce from More Time at the Table, Ansh from Spice Roots,  Casey from Bookcase Foodie, Jeanette from Jeanette's Healthy Living, Jill from Saucy Cooks, Martha from Simple Nourished Living and Sarah from Everything in the Kitchen Sink.



If you are a blogger and would like to take part in this blogging group about Power Foods: 150 Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients from the editors of at Martha Stewart's Living Magazine, please get in touch with Mireya at mireya@myhealthyeatinghabits.com for details.

17 comments:

  1. I don't stir-fry much, but your lovely beef with broccoli makes me want to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha@ Simple Nourished Living! Stir fying is one of the easiest dishes to make. You can toss just about any kind of veggies in a wok or pan and stir away.

      Delete
  2. yes I would absolutely Love this with Singapore style noodles!! Am Glad you joined the 38 power foods blog group!! the more recipes we have the healthier we eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ansh! I hope I can get through all the 38 power foods! Lots of exciting power foods ahead!

      Delete
  3. Bambi, my youngest son isn't wild about broccoli, but make broccoli with beef as in your recipe here and he's all over it. Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely beef and broccoli! (all four of my kids loved broccoli..I got burned out on it!). Have a great week. I'm so glad youn joined us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyce! A pleasure to be a part of your blogging group! So many exciting power foods coming up! Some of which I'm not really a fan of and this is the best way to try them again!

      Delete
  5. So delicious, I love this type of meal! When I was a kid I don't think I liked any vegetables #fussy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks muppy! Yeah. Stir fries are the easiest things you can whip up for any weekday dinner!

      Delete
  6. I love broccoli in a stirfry, the 'little tree' just suck up the sauce and you end up with a delicious mouthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right there Sara! Those cute little trees are absolutely delish with sauce. Any sauce. xx

      Delete
  7. Broccoli stir fry is wonderful - as Sara says, it just sucks up all the sauce. It's a plus that it's so nutritious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette! Broccoli's packed full of nutrients!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy! It is a fave in our home. xx

      Delete
  9. Very healthy recipe! This recipe will help me to learn more how to cook a delicious yet easy to cook stir fry! I will try this when I have time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...